Brechin City 1
Arbroath 1
Scottish League (League One)

Brechin City 

1 - 1


Scottish League (League One)
Saturday, April 13th, 2019
Glebe Park
Attendance: 1,509
3:00 PM Kick-off

Michael Miller (22) Ryan Wallace (5)

Team Managers
Barry Smith Dick Campbell

Starting Eleven
Graham Bowman
Paul McLean
Euan Spark
Dougie Hill
Tam Scobbie
Craig Thomson
Michael Miller
Euan Smith
Scott Robertson
Sean Burns
Andrew Jackson
Darren Jamieson
Jason Thomson
Colin Hamilton
Tam O'Brien
Ricky Little
Mark Whatley
David Gold
Michael McKenna
Omar Kader
Danny Denholm
Ryan Wallace

Ryan McGeever
Kalvin Orsi
Callum Tapping
Jordan Tapping
Patrick O’Neil
Ross Kavanagh
Sam Jamieson
Darren Hill
Gavin Swankie
Ryan McCord
Luke Donnelly
Greig Spence
Bobby Linn
Steven Doris

Ross Kavanagh for Craig Thomson (7)
Ryan McGeever for Dougie Hill (77)
Gavin Swankie for Omar Kader (66)
Steven Doris for Danny Denholm (73)
Luke Donnelly for Ryan Wallace (81)

Euan Smith (48)
Dougie Hill (56)
Michael Miller (76)
Ricky Little (32)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

David Dickinson (Referee)
Gordon Crawford & Chris McTiernan (Assistants)

Match Report

City and Arbroath shared the spoils in the last Angus derby of the season yesterday afternoon, with the result also clinching the League One title for the Lichties in front of a bumper crowd at Glebe Park.

It was a hard earned point for City against Dick Campbell's side, however results elsewhere mean that they have it all to do in the remaining 3 fixtures to avoid the bottom two.

Barry Smith made just one change from the side that were defeated narrowly by Dumbarton last weekend - with Euan Spark coming in for Lewis Toshney who was stretchered off against the Sons with the extent of his injury yet to be determined.

In the Glebe Park sunshine it only took the visitors five minutes to get their noses in front and settle any potential nerves. A cross from the left hand side from ex-City man Colin Hamilton was met by RYAN WALLACE who guided his header past Bowman and into the bottom corner.

Just two minutes after the goal City were forced into an early substitution when Craig Thomson picked up what appeared to be a hamstring injury - he was replaced by Ross Kavanagh.

Despite the early goal the visitors toiled and the tenacity of the City players made things difficult for them - although they were evidently missing the craft and guile of their talismanic winger Bobby Linn who was only fit enough to make up the numbers on the bench.

It was City who equalised on 22 minutes with their first shot on goal, and indeed what proved to be their only shot on target in the game. MICHAEL MILLER collected the ball on the edge of the box and he had enough time to get a shot away which trundled past Jamieson with the aid of a deflection - his first goal for the club since joining in February.

The Lichties continued to struggle to create openings against a defence superbly marshalled by Dougie Hill who would go on to pick up the sponsors man of the match award. However there was a scare 7 minutes before the break when a cross to the back post was headed wide by Jason Thomson when it looked easier to score.

Shortly into the second period, there was to another glorious chance for the visitors when Omar Kader dispossessed Tam Scobbie to go clean through on goal but with just Bowman to beat, he dragged his shot wide of the target.

At the other end Sean Burns made a good run down the left before supplying an inviting low ball across the face of goal but there were no takers.

Shortly before the hour mark Paul McLean did supremely well to deflect a shot from David Gold over the bar and the visitors would threaten again through a 25 yard Ryan Wallace free kick but he was unable to keep his effort down.

City's best chance of the half came 12 minutes from time. Ross Kavanagh won a free kick down the left side which was swung in by Tam Scobbie - the ball fell invitingly for Euan Smith but with the goal at his mercy he blazed over the bar from close range.

Scobbie's deliveries into the box would continue to cause problems for the Arbroath defence - this time his cross was met by Kavanagh who could only glance wide.

With the clock ticking down, Arbroath were content to keep the ball in the closing stages knowing that a point would be enough to confirm the League title.

Referee David Dickinson blew for full time which signalled the start of a mass pitch invasion by the large travelling support as they greeted their title winning heroes.

Congratulations go out to all at Arbroath FC on winning the League One Championship and given that they have been top of the table since day one, nobody can argue that they haven't deserved it over the course of the season.

Results elsewhere in the divison were far from kind for City with Stranraer coming back from 2-0 down to defeat Raith Rovers at Starks Park, whilst Stenhousemuir edged out Airdrieonians in the late kick off. This means City are now joint on points with Stenhousemuir at the bottom, and 4 points off automatic safety ahead of a crucial trip against Stranraer at Stair Park next weekend.

Match report written by Steven Mew -

Squad Statistics (as at April 13th, 2019)

2018-19 All Time
Darren Jamieson (GK)28 37 - 37 -
Colin Hamilton26 39420016
Jason Thomson31 382382
Ricky Little29 4032089
Tam O'Brien27 374797
Omar Kader32 35111212
Michael McKenna28 39105514
David Gold26 3511446
Mark Whatley28 33 - 2007
Danny Denholm28 3637815
Ryan Wallace28 39115919
Gavin Swankie (sub)35 37228758
Luke Donnelly (sub)23 111111
Steven Doris (sub)30 19223383

League Table (as at April 13th, 2019)

No league table has been added for this season.